Wednesday 5 June 2019

Den Haag


 The inner boats, from last night's raft, have put to sea. Stargazer is snugged down, on the Scheveningen waterfront, for the day. Her fenders out, ready to receive new arrivals.


I set off inland through leafy.....


....suburban streets...


.....thronged with cyclists...


.....alive with the scents of market stalls...


....and vibrant with colour.


In my hand I clasp a new camera. My trusty Canon has developed a habit of shutting down at inopportune moments. Fortunately Den Haag is the home to some fine camera shops. A phonecall ahead secured a Panasonic (which the reviewers rave over) at a good discount. We docked in time for me to collect it, yesterday afternoon. This morning I set it up, using an English manual downloaded from the internet. Now I'm enjoying giving it a first outing. A stern test with today's sun peering, but never quiet breaking, through a veil of thin high cloud.


The streets broaden to become boulevards.


Statues add gravitas.


Gargoyles leer. 


Fountains play


I have arrived at the Binnenhof, in its full 13th century Gothic splendour


Security is tight. 


This is the seat of power for the government of the Netherlands.


A place of historic grandeur.


Today I have experienced a tantalising glimpse of its treasures. I had hoped to tarry a further day. But the forecast dictates otherwise. If we linger tomorrow, we will miss a favourable force 4/5, and instead face force 6 headwinds on Friday, rising to 7 on Saturday. Stargazer prepares to sail at 04.00, to catch her tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment