Saturday 5 September 2020

Tempting Fate

 


My early morning forecast check reveals that our expected north westerly breeze will be with us all day; and that the phone, on which we are dependent for forecasting, navigation, banking and more besides, has not charged overnight. I suspect the lead and dig out the spare. It turns out to be the wrong type. Today’s new priority is to restore reliable phone charging.


It is our great good fortune to be in Cherbourg at this moment. With its comprehensive array of city centre shops. I soon find the local phone unlocker. And am relieved when we establish that it is only the lead which is at fault. He even has a genuine Apple spare - for cash only!


Feeling relaxed once more, I stroll the thronging Saturday streets. Market stalls fill the squares. The aroma of fresh cooked food hangs in the air. Tempted, I queue for my morning baguette.


And top up on fresh vegetables.


Back at the harbour, the Open 40 fleet is mustering. Sails are being put aboard. Ernest conversations had. Preparations made.


Others are at sea. Testing sails and rig set ups, in the fresh breeze.


For those not yet ready, the sight is a spur to action.


I shall make no bold prophecies, about whether Stargazer too will be saying farewell to Cherbourg, in case I tempt fate - as I may have done with yesterday’s post. I will merely observe that both wind and tide suit an eastbound passage on Sunday morning. 





No comments:

Post a Comment