Tuesday 20 July 2021

An English Summer 47


The first job of the day, is to re-anchor Stargazer. 

As the island ferries and jet RIB's collected day trippers, from Bryher, at low water, yesterday evening, four truths became evident: 
First, that Anneka's Quay is their principal low water landing. 
Second, that I had anchored Stargazer on their line of approach; which has to take account of a charted, but unmarked rock pinnacle. 
Third, that we were lying closer than I cared to be (around one and a half boat lengths), to said rock (horribly visible through the clear water), when Stargazer swung to her anchor, with the change of the tide. 
And fourth, that Scillonian boatmen are most unusually friendly and tolerant. Slowing right down, so as not to disturb us with their wash, as they manoeuvred around us.


I reposition Stargazer, clear of the ferries' path, in the centre of the sandy bay. A position denied to us, by another boat, on arrival yesterday. I feel much easier.


With Stargazer properly secure, I am free to row ashore, to explore.


I carry the Avon up, to the edge of the dunes, and set off along the beach. (Stargazer top left.)


I immediately discover that Bryher likes to do things its own way, the unvarnished way. As I pass through Stinking Porth. . . .


. . . . Hell Bay. . . .


. . . . and Outfall Cove. All delightfully tropical, craggy or both. There is no holiday brochure spin here!


Back aboard Stargazer I download my photographs, seated at the head of the saloon table, facing aft, with a picture postcard view out astern. I see a pilot cutter, under sail, making her way up across the Tresco Flats. Quickly, I am on deck, to watch the spectacle, sat dangling my legs over the stern. Amelie Rose, a Luke Powell built boat, based in Poole, reaches closer, in that powerfully purposeful way, which sail driven working craft have. As she approaches, she slows, her wind blanketed by the cliffs, her motion barely walking pace. There is time to chat, as they pass, half a boat length off: 
 "You must have got some lovely shots of us.". . . . .
"I hope so. You make a glorious sight.". . . .
“Be sure to email one, the address is on our website, Amelie Rose.". . . .
"I recognised her, I will". . . .
“Oh yes, we're both Poole boats, thank you.". . . .
“Thank you, for brightening the day!"







 

1 comment:

  1. Amelie Rose looks very purposeful as you say. Mighty fine looking pilot cutter.
    So nice to hear how friendly the boatmen are towards you very much our experience as paying passengers, although I kinda know Joe Pender on Sapphire and Frazer Hicks on Seaking.
    Interesting post Doug.

    ReplyDelete