Wednesday 17 April 2024

Dandelion 4

 

A shaft of sunlight lances through Stargazer's forehatch. Waking me, in my bunk below. Silence bathes the marina. The wind roar gone, folks yet to stir.

I check the (ever evolving) forecast. There may be a brief window, in which to leave the Kent shore and head down Channel. Certainly breezes are northerly, thus favourable. Less assured is their strength. But at least, once around the North Foreland, they should be from astern.

Stargazer hoists full sail. Coming to life after her long hibernation. Helm tugging communicatively in my hand, as gusts roll down river. I ease the mainsheet. Her helm steadies. Seaward we sweep, the tide beneath us. The rush of water, and trill of birdsong, filling my ears.

A powerful spring sun warms my upturned face. As I steer, tucked down behind Stargazer's windscreen. Checking tide times, on the iPad, as I go. By mid ebb we are nearing the confluence of the Medway and the London River. Too late, to carry a fair tide around the Foreland, today.

But well placed to sound in among the sheltering shoals of Sharfleet Creek. To await tomorrow's down Channel tide; and the new day’s forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment