Saturday 6 July 2013

Into The Mystic Cruise 2013- update 11

Sat 6.7.13: Frenchman's Creek, Helford.

Stargazer hangs suspended between her reflection below and a powder blue sky above. To either side she is framed by wooded shores; of a green, so intensely dark, as to be almost black.

The oar blades leave a line of whorls and eddies, like footprints, on the water; as I row away. The low sun warms my back; and dries the dew drops, which stud the dinghy like sparkling jewels.

A heron contemplates me from the shadows, as I row into the stillness of Frenchman's Creek. I rest on the oars and return its gaze; watch the sunlight paint the trees a startling emerald; feel an involuntary shiver, as the bleached bones of fallen branches reach out toward us; hear the quiet.

The sun is up, and a sea breeze starting to ruffle the water, by the time I reboard Stargazer, for breakfast.

The wind is forecast to stay light, today and tomorrow; and then to settle into the east: a fair wind for Scilly. Tomorrow we put in at Penryn, to top up the water and fresh provisions, to be ready.

(I had my HD camera with me for my early morning row. Photo update tomorrow, when I have shore power to download them & 3G signal to post with!)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Frenchman's Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment