Wednesday 24 June 2020

Learning Curve 2



Stargazer lies tucked in tight under the sea wall. Our new view for today. We need a still deck to get to grips with the genoa winches. Fortunately the breeze is whisper light. The sea wall stills any motion on the water. Perfect for today's purpose. An auspicious start to the day. 


It helps disperse the feeling of dread, which I harbour, at the thought of dismantling Stargazer's winches. There is the potential for parts to fall overboard, never to be seen again, unless I am very careful. This ominous feeling is heightened by the name of the boat, which was towering over Richard and I yesterday, while he talked me through what I needed to do today.


I begin, tentatively, to dismantle the slipping winch - taking notes and photos as I go. I place the parts in a washing up bowl to prevent them rolling away, or spreading grease around the cockpit . I had, on a fortunate whim, practiced man overboard drill on the bowl, as it bobbed by semi submerged, a couple of days ago. A second auspicious sign.


The drum is off. Next to remove the bearings, gears, pawls and springs. Two of the latter are stiff and unmoving. I prize them out with a blade. We have our culprits for the winch slipping under load.


My lurid green bowl fills with parts. Only the bare carcass of the winch is left on Stargazer's cockpit coaming. The teak of her cockpit is covered over with taped down bin bags and cardboard . I'm soaking the grease, oil and grime off the winch components using diesel and a paintbrush. Messy but effective. I begin the rebuild - wiping each part dry, lubricating, re assembling or replacing as necessary.


My mind is easier now. The second winch is a quicker job. No need for pauses for head scratching and coffee drinking. My thoughts turn to our recent ports of call. The contrasts and similarities, within sixty miles of coast. The magnificently wild and open landscape of The Swale.


Where we fell in with the historic Thames Barge Ironsides. . .


. . . for an un-coreographed cruise in company to Brightlingsea.


The historic. . .


. . . and homely intimacy of  the wooded shores of Pin Mill.


Both genoa winches are rebuilt, at last. Rotating with a satisfying ratcheting sound - and holding under load . Stargazer is ready to be on her way on tomorrow's tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment