Sunday 9 May 2021

Out of Lockdown 20

 

It would be hard to say which of us is the more surprised, the goose, or I. We both stand stock still, startled, heads raised, staring at one another. I have come on the family, of Canada Geese, as I round a bend on the sea wall. Behind their mother, a brood of yellow and grey downed goslings feed, oblivious to the potential for danger, which I represent.


Mother knows better. Together with her mate, which has suddenly appeared from the foot of the slope, she swiftly shepherds her family away from the path. Putting a safe distance between themselves and the shore.


Once out in the tidal lagoon, their pace slackens. The goslings fan out, jink right and left in play. The parents strain their long necks, to keep one eye on the goslings and one on me. I tiptoe past, as slowly and unobtrusively as I can.


The lagoons have been created by breaching a section of the sea wall and adding sluices, to control water levels. The result is a sheltered area which contains a mixture of salt marsh and open water. An ideal habitat for breeding birds and Sunday anglers alike.


A bridle path leads up from the dyke.


Through well tilled and tended arable farmland.


And out onto the main street of Trimley St Martin.


I top up Stargazer's stores in the village shop.


Meanwhile, back by the river, the weather is settling. Sunday racing is in full swing. The forecasts, for the week ahead, are looking promising and the tides are coming fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment