Saturday 19 June 2021

An English Summer 18

 


A busker strums softly. The lyric is familiar. The tune, and phrasing, his own. The effect, a joyously mellow feeling, of well-being. 


Perfectly in harmony, with the mood of the Dartmouth waterfront, enjoying a splash of sunshine, from a menacing sky.


I have left Stargazer, at Dittisham, amid the Saturday morning dinghy sailors, rigging up on the beach. Her solar panels deployed, on deck. Seeking to replenish the drain, of her navigation lights and instruments, from Thursday's passage.


The Christie Belle ferry (named for Agatha Christie) leaves, from Greenway Quay (where Agatha Christie's former home, Greenway House stands, amid the trees). A matter of metres away from Stargazer's mooring. Collection from vessel, if required, included in the ticket price, I am delighted to find. Her crew are most attentive, and rather tickled, I thought, to be involved in this shopping expedition, for groceries.


For that is my reason for hastening, so soon, from the tranquility, of the upper Dart, into this hive of weekend waterborne activity. At breakfast, I found that the bread had grown a blue beard, and that the bananas were 'eat today' ripe. Now, I am fully briefed, by the crew of the Christie Belle, about which is the best bakery shop in town, and where to buy the freshest fruit. 

I take the opportunity, of my chauffeur driven ride into town, to spy out the availability of berth spaces, on the downstream pontoons. There look to be plenty today, more than when we came in (after a solid week of sunshine). We may drop down, in a day or so, if we do not move on. We will see how the mood takes us; and what the weather forecast has to say. First, to enjoy an impulse purchase .The makings of a Devon clotted cream tea.

PS For those of you who use a 'feedburner' e mail alert, to tell you when I have posted, please note that Google are discontinuing this service, from the end of June. For my part, I will continue to post, more or less daily, throughout Stargazer's cruises . I hope that you will be able to continue to join us!


No comments:

Post a Comment