Monday 9 August 2021

An English Summer 66

 


The fishermen, of course, leave their moorings in the dawn twilight. Taking their colourful craft with them. I settle for snapping Stargazer's picture with one of their tenders instead.


Before rowing ashore. Taking full advantage of the luxury, of St Mary's stone quay, on which to land dry shod.

I replenish Stargazer's cooking gas, water and diesel. Top up her store cupboard. Shuttling to and fro between dinghy and shops.


There is even time for an afternoon ice cream, on the church green. Or half an ice cream. Lucky has a Red Baron relative. The gull snatches the entire cone, from my hand, as I pause between licks. The aerial scourge favours the bench, on which I was sitting, onlookers inform me. Perhaps a signal that it is time to move on.


Tomorrow we will be up with the fishermen, on passage to the Cornish mainland. I suspect that we will have company. Around us, boats familiar, until now, only as names on AIS, usually anchored in the more remote bays, have arrived on the harbour moorings.





2 comments:

  1. Good luck and fair winds for tomorrow Doug.
    Holgates green is where you sat named after the hotel that once stood there.
    Those seagulls have it down to a fine art bash you usually on the head you throw up your hand and he grabs it. We had pizza from the galley and sat there my wife diligently closing her box after each piece and out. Gull smacked her on the back of the head, tried for the pizza but only got her finger! Was marked in the shape of its beak for days and hurt. She didn’t loose any pizza though. I sat there without a care in the world enjoying mine! Well I thought they would go for the fish a d chips that were in abundance on the other benches and left for all to see between mouthfuls.
    Cheers
    Ade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds as if I got off lightly, after all, Ade. 'Grab' but no 'smash.' Perhaps Lucky put in a good word!

      Delete