Tuesday 13 July 2021

An English Summer 40

 


From Stargazer's cockpit, my supper-time view is out, past Morning Point, to the craggy tip of Gugh.

This morning, I am bound for Porth Cressa beach. Feeling as if I am on a treasure hunt.


Picking up clues, as I walk the streets of Hugh Town and, inadvertently, into Porthmellon. Magpie like, I swoop, when I spot item, on my 'to do' list. Then seek advice, from ever friendly Scillonians, on where to head, to find the next prize.

Scilly has its own delightful logic, in the location of its shops and services. Local knowledge is definitely an asset, in finding them: Rubbish bins? In a trailer, above the high tide line, on Porth Cressa beach. Diesel pump? Outside the Launderette. 'Proper,' fresh baked, bread? In the butchers. 

The Post Office, however, is conventionally located, on the High Street. In a Hansel and Gretel cottage.


It is evening, once more, when I row back out to Stargazer. Jerry cans, parcels and packages wedged into the Avon around me, as best they will fit. The 'to do' list complete. Ready to begin a different treasure hunt. One of island exploration.





No comments:

Post a Comment