Thursday 6 April 2023

Spring Chicken

 


Stargazer, fresh as a new-hatched spring chicken, alights on her berth. Aglow at the prospect of the season's start.


The rain-soaked gloom, of March, is lanced by a shaft of April sunshine, as the yard crew manoeuvre Stargazer within the waiting crane's reach.


Up she rises, in the slings. A quick coat of antifouling is applied, to the bare patches, where the cradle pads supported her hull. Before Stargazer is returned to her element.


My first day's work is to restore order below. Where the contents of the cockpit locker and 'stow cabin’ have been stacked over the winter. To enable easy access for mechanical maintenance and installation work. 


By evening, Stargazer's familiar snug saloon has reemerged from the shambles.


Only to vanish once more, the next day, as I ferry two trolley loads of provisions aboard. And attempt to solve the annual Rubics Cube stowage puzzle.


The following day dawns windless . Ideal conditions in which to bend on the sails.


 With Easter upon us, I find myself like Heracles, fighting the many headed Lernaean Hydra, in my battle with ever emerging job lists: No sooner do I strike a line through one, than two others seem to spring up in its place. 


The prospect of Stargazer's shakedown trip proves to be my figurative Iolaus, with burning sword. My spur to slowly but inexorably vanquish the lists. 
My mind begins to turn to tides and forecasts. To planning an equinoctial East Coast circuit.


A prelude to summer in La Belle France.









No comments:

Post a Comment