Thursday 29 August 2024

Dandelion 125


 The path, through the oak wood (yesterday's post - which I have now edited, to remove the typos), emerges behind Hamble Point boatyard. Where a Hallberg-Rassy 340 is hauled out. With the 310 (Stargazer's model) no longer in production, this is the current 'baby' Rassy. Complete with contemporary twin rudders and beam carried aft, in a soft chine.

I am here to catch up with Hamble luminary, Willie Bewes. Through whom I ordered Stargazer, in 2009.  Officially, he sold Transworld Yachts and retired, two years after Stargazer's launch. However he seems to be 'just covering the phones today,' whenever I call for advice. 


We are soon discussing Stargazer's virtues. Together with my perceptions, of the shortcomings of her 340 successor. To which I gave short shrift in this 2020 post. On the grounds that her twin wheel cockpit layout forced the helmsman to sit in a cramped and exposed position, right aft. Instead of forward, in the shelter of the windscreen. As I do, ensconced at Stargazer's tiller. In exactly the position of the comfortably relaxed crew member, in this brochure shot.


We are swiftly on a video call, to Jonas, at the Hallberg-Rassy yard, on Ellos. Who produces photographs (and personal testimony), that a tiller steered 340 offers the same level of shelter as Stargazer. With more space aft. When I counter that the benches are too widely spaced, to allow bracing when heeled, Jonas advises that the gap tapers. Wide at the aft end, for ease of passage. Comfortable bracing width, forward, where a tillerman (or lady) might sit.


Willie and I adjourn to the 340, on the hard, to settle the matter. Jonas proves to be correct, in all he says. My impressions perhaps confused, by the press of people aboard, on the Southampton Boat Show day, on which I formed them. I suspect that I sat at the aft end of the cockpit, out of the crush, to check my leg length for cross-bench fit.


After last year's visit to the RM yard, in La Rochelle, the 340's hull shape, which I had been so taken aback by in 2019, no longer seems extreme.


Whilst time spent at the JPK yard, in Lorient, in 2022, debunked the myth that, hulls with their beam carried aft, buy their downwind power at the expense of upwind performance. The race results, of Tom Kneen's JPK 1080 Sunrise, the proof of the, all-round-performance-gain, pudding.


Down below, the 340 looks instantly familiar. But with added space and light. Plus some useful updates to stowage. Particularly in the galley, where the greater beam aft is creatively put to use.


Hull windows provide a sea view, whilst seated in the saloon. Where Stargazer relies on looking out of her open transom, through the companionway. Lack of bookshelf space, is the price that the 340 pays. With room 'wasted' to either side of the windows. An oversight which, Willie assures me, can be recitified. By reaching out, beyond the extensive Hallberg-Rassy options list, to a New Forest cabinet maker friend of his.



Picture Credits

Hallberg-Rassy 340 under sail, courtesy of Hallberg-Rassy

Hallberg-Rassy 340 tiller steering cockpit layout, courtesy of Hallberg-Rassy


No comments:

Post a Comment